The August Belmont Memorial Chapel has commanded a dominant presence at the Island Cemetery in Newport, since its construction in 1886. Commissioned by Mr. and Mrs. August Belmont, Sr. the chapel is a memorial to their daughter Jane Pauline Belmont who died at the young age of 19. Given as a gift, the chapel’s original purpose was to serve as a site to hold committal services for those being buried at the Island Cemetery.
Designed in the gothic revival style by Newport native George Champlin Mason, the chapel abuts the Belmont Circle, which is the grave site of August Belmont, Sr. and his family. Notable individuals including Mr. Belmont’s son August Belmont, Jr. and his father-in-law Commodore Matthew C. Perry, are also buried within the Belmont Circle plot.
Over the past thirty five plus years the chapel has fallen into severe disrepair. In 2012, three preservation-minded individuals approached the Island Cemetery Company with a proposition to save the chapel from any further deterioration. With the cemetery’s endorsement, the Belmont Chapel Foundation was established. In 2014, the Foundation was granted tax exempt status by the Internal Revenue Service. On August 7, 2014 the Belmont Chapel Foundation formalized a 99 year curator-ship and occupancy agreement with the Island Cemetery Company enabling the Foundation to restore and preserve the chapel for future generations. It is the Foundation’s goal to re-purpose the chapel so that it can be enjoyed and utilized by all who wish to visit it in the future.